Change request workflowA simple and auditable change request workflow that incorporates merge request approvers.
The following incorporates aspects of Git flows and DevOps to create an auditable change request workflow intended for updating documentation.
* Contributor logs a change request as an issue in GitLab, in this case following a review, the ESD values in the *Absolute maximum ratings* table must be updated.
* Technical writer creates a *feature-branch* from the *develop* branch.
`git checkout -b issue-4 develop`
* Technical writer updates content on the *feature-branch*, requests more information as needed via the issue.
* When ready, technical writer creates a merge request to integrate the *feature-branch* back into the *develop* branch. This merge request has an *Approve* function that when checked will automatically integrate the branch and build via CI/CD pipeline.
We can now see (via the merge request thread):
* Who requested the change and why (via [issue](https://gitlab.com/qms-demo/operations/wi5014-laser-etching-machine/-/issues/4))
* What changes were made and who made them (via [commits](https://gitlab.com/qms-demo/operations/wi5014-laser-etching-machine/-/merge_requests/1/commits) and [diffs](https://gitlab.com/qms-demo/operations/wi5014-laser-etching-machine/-/merge_requests/1/diffs))
* Who approved the change (shown in [merge request](https://gitlab.com/qms-demo/operations/wi5014-laser-etching-machine/-/merge_requests/1))
* Where the document was automatically deployed (via [pipelines](https://gitlab.com/qms-demo/operations/wi5014-laser-etching-machine/-/merge_requests/1/pipelines))
* The [Git flow](https://gitlab.com/qms-demo/operations/wi5014-laser-etching-machine/-/network/master?utf8=%E2%9C%93&extended_sha1=):
See the [Issue-4 Merge Request](https://gitlab.com/qms-demo/operations/wi5014-laser-etching-machine/-/merge_requests/1)
We electronically control revisions for this topic and deploy it directly online. Any copies you generate from the latest revision are uncontrolled. Ensure you refer to the latest revision online when possible.
Technical writer creates a feature-branch from the develop branch.
git checkout -b issue-4 develop
Technical writer updates content on the feature-branch, requests more information as needed via the issue.
When ready, technical writer creates a merge request to integrate the feature-branch back into the develop branch. This merge request has an Approve function that when checked will automatically integrate the branch and build via CI/CD pipeline.